You are warmly invited celebrate our 25th Jubilee Conference. We would like to see several members from each support group around NZ come and mark this milestone with us. Please start by setting aside the time in your calendar, and by saving up for the travel and Conference costs.
Programme details will be posted on this website and in your Polio News as they are confirmed.
QE Health Update
For details about the latest Polio services from QE Health, read this report from Edith Morris here
Download a brochure here
There have been recent up-dates to this website which will be of interest to you, so please take the time to look through the various pages from the menu on the left.
- The new AV Resources includes an array of video and sound recordings which you may find helpful to view on line.
- Take a look at the variety of items on Resources for Polios, or read the latest newsletter here.
• The Duncan Fund has been a source of help to many members, for equipment, modifications and items that are not covered by normal funding services. Applications can be made to the Society by e-mail or post. More here
POLIO LIVES ON ...
... IN ITS SURVIVORS
The late effects of Poliomyelitis
This is the web site of Polio NZ Inc. (Formerly Post Polio Support Society of NZ Inc)
It provides information and support for the members of the society and others who have post-polio syndrome.
If you know anyone who has had Polio, we are able to help them with information and support through our 23 Support Groups throughout New Zealand: 0800 416 546
Our Newsletter comes out 4 times a year. The latest issue is now on line.
Download in PDF format or read in Clickbook format online here
Polio and Post Polio
- A prior episode of polio confirmed by medical history or obvious polio paralysis
- Residual motor neuron loss
- Years of functional stability after the acute illness
- Gradual or abrupt onset of new weakness
- Generalised fatigue leading to exhaustion, which may also have psychological effects
Polio Immunisation Statement
The risk of polio epidemics re-occurring in New Zealand increases while immunisation remains below optimal levels. Polio is only a plane ride away. Are all your family members immunised? If not, the crippling paralysis of polio could once again be a reality. The only prevention is vaccination. Act now with free immunisation.
Polio NZ Inc endorses current immunisation campaigns to protect the population against outbreaks of polio.